Dec 8, 2011

Here We Go!

We had not planned on starting this winter. However, when I looked into getting started pullets ready to lay in the spring, the only hatchery that I could find nearby used the practice of "debeaking". It is a difficult start to a free range chickens life to only have half of a top beak and possibly even a burnt tougne. We want our chickens to be able to be chickens to the fullest and especially to have the ability to chase and catch bugs, and eat all the grass they want.
So.....in order for us to have eggs to eat and sell this spring, we had to jump to action and get day old chicks. Normally December would not be the month that I would choose to do this, but so be it.
Here We Go!
    
 27 degrees outside....felt like 100 in the car
 Not even 5 minutes and they have found the food and water

    Lucy loves them

   Alison was a little nervous picking them up at first

   Very Curious


  We named this one "Christian"

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute. I can't wait to eat their eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see the kids getting involved. The city girl in me was very hesitant to handle them without gloves, but these kids growing up on the farm will know nothing else. Taking care of these animals will become second nature to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will post new pictures soon, I keep forgetting to bring the camera, they look totally different. Two weeks old today!

    ReplyDelete