May 8, 2012

Quick Youtube Food Tutorial, just for fun

Okay, so I want to make very clear that I do not subscribe to the Paleo-Go-Back-and-Eat-Only-What-the Cavemen-in-the-Ice-Age-Ate Diet.  I have not been convinced, and find it very hard to believe, that all dairy and grains are de facto bad for you.  And even if it was proved to me that all dairy and grains are bad for me, well, I like a lot of them and am simply not willing to give them up.  Not to mention that my husband would probably divorce me if I told him I would no longer buy cheese.  I like being married to Peter and I like bread (sometimes not in that order), and no amount of health could make me give either of them up.

HOWEVER, I do think this video gives a quick, funny summary of the problems with the Standard American Diet (SAD), the way it's produced and the effects it has on our health.

C'mon, people.  I go from books, to videos, to a Youtube clip.  I'm making it very easy to get educated here.  Join to movement!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty much sums up the problems with a typical American diet. This is why we do what we do. Processed foods, such as candy, cheetos, and pop have been easy for my family to give up - we simply don't buy them, so the kids don't ask. I will admit, dairy and grains is another story. And I believe raw milk and cheeses have many benefits for our health. Another good reading - The Untold Story of Milk.

    I love fresh fruits and veggies, but in the dead of winter it is difficult to find these from local suppliers in this cold weather climate. That has been the biggest challenge for me - canning, freezing, preparing 6 months ahead of time. It is a huge commitment, but worth every minute.

    The Paleo diet makes sense in many ways. Our society needs to take many steps towards getting back to raising animals in a healthy, humane way and benefiting from that with healthy bodies. I just read on Yahoo yesterday that it is predicted by 2020 fifty percent of Americans will be obese (I doubt it will take that long).

    We need to move away from buying cheap food and spending millions on pharmaceutical drugs b/c of it; it's worth putting our money where our mouth is with wholesome, healthy food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that video. My fiance and I have been following the Paleo lifestyle since Oct 2011. I am going to send this video to my friends and family that kinda gloss over when I start talking about gluten proteins and G.I. damage associated with the modern diet.

    ReplyDelete